Saturday, February 20, 2010

Mabuhay!

This is an anecdote and not a fable.
One day at a cafe, there at the table
Was an elderly gentleman wearing a fez with a feather.
So I said to him, "Sir, I do not know whether
My opinion would matter or not, but your hat looks quite prissy;
And I'm sorry to say, you look like a sissy!"
The gentleman laughed with a chortle and replied with a trill,
"My young lady, I see that you certainly will
Say exactly whatever is on your mind.
You are quite nervy, this I do find.
And I'm not sure that is an accolade.
But won't you sit down and share a glass of lemonade."
And so I did, and he continued to say,
"My job is quite cumbersome and provides so little pay.
I'm usually zonked by the end of the day.
My work is a tedious and arduous fag.
My boss is a rotter, an unbearable hag.
A maelstrom is the atmosphere there
So when I punch out, my fez, I do wear
As a means of escapism. It's my way to cope.
And so, my dear, I certainly hope
You will join me in giving a cheer
To the small pleasures we can find here."
So we lifted our glasses and gave them a clink on that day
And shouted, "Mabuhay! Mabuhay! Hip Hip Hooray!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feed the Hungry

Popular Posts